At Westcan, we dedicate ourselves to delivering complete, customer-driven transportation solutions. Since 1964, our team of industry professionals has worked to build a reputation for safety, on time delivery and unparalleled customer service. Staying true to this tradition is what keeps Westcan driving for excellence.
Reporting to the Terminal Manager, the Safety Administrator/Recruiter provides support to health and safety programs as well as the day-to-day operation in the Yellowknife Terminal.
What you bring:
- 1-2 years previous experience in a role with similar duties and responsibilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality
- The confidence to see something, say something and act on information received or observations made; someone who is not afraid to challenge the status quo or norms in the pursuit of the achievement of our overarching safety and training objectives
- Proficient written communication skills to accurately articulate the events, results and investigation of incidents to both internal and external audiences
- Proficient computer skills in order to use software such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- Knowledge of the dispatch system, TMW, is an asset
- Must be well organized and able to move between tasks without issues
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, requiring initiative and ambition
- Knowledge of the transportation industry is an asset
Whats in it for you:
- Competitive compensation including an immediate company paid benefit package for you and your family
- Referral reward payments up to $2,000 available per successful hire (certain conditions apply)
- Working with a fun team that maintains a family like atmosphere
- We offer a wide range of other employee programs and incentives including a matched RRSP/DPSP, annual bonus opportunities as well as a scholarship program for children of employees
- We listen to your ideas and give you an opportunity to make changes
- We have an uncompromising commitment to safety and lead by example every day through actively caring about one another
About the position:
- Being a resource to safety teams during incidents to ensure our incident response process is adhered by liaising between in-field Safety Advisors and Westcan Management to ensure both parties have the adequate resources and information to ensure our successful work through of the incident
- Preparing all incident reports, including required data entry to ensure compliance with all company and regulatory reporting obligations
- Reviewing daily and system updates as required of all speed gauge and stability and safety reports
- Liaising with HR in regards to workplace injury claims (WCB)
- Ensuring training and qualification records are accurate and up-to-date (both system and employee files)
- Supporting dispatch as required
- Administering other duties as required including but not limited to:
- Ensuring driver schedules are current
- Scanning trip sheets and back-up documentation into the system once verification on data is completed
- Organizing flights and accommodations for employees
- Creating and maintaining employee files and facilitate onboarding for new hires including assigning fuel cards
- Recruiting Professional Truck Drivers, screening application, setting up road test and interviews, conducting reference checks and setting up pre-employment testing
Please note, as a courtesy, we strongly encourage internal applicants to advise their immediate supervisor of their application for any position within the company.
Remember, Refer and Earn! External applicants should apply online on the Career Opportunities page found under the Join Our Team link at www.westcanbulk.ca. External applicants in consideration will adhere to a criminal record search.
We love diversity! Westcan is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity in the workplace and equivalently considers applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. We welcome applications from all interested individuals; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.