The Government of Northwest Territories will be closed for Mandatory Leave December 21, 2019 to January 1, 2020 inclusive.
During this time it is expected that the careers website and eRecruit will continue to be operational and applicants will be able to apply on current openings.
Department: Environment and Natural Resources
Environment and Natural Resources actively collaborates to protect, manage and restore ecosystem health, promote environmental stewardship and support the wise use of natural resources for the benefit of ecosystems, which include the people of the Northwest Territories.
The Advisor, Legislation and Legal Affairs, provides research, analysis and advice on the review of Departmental legislation and other assigned special projects. You will provide advice in the areas of legislation analysis; coordination and implementation to ensure the development and amendment of legislation and regulations administered by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) are consistent with Cabinet direction, land claim agreements and federal legislation. You will also undertake the research necessary to develop effective legislation and associated policy in support of departmental matters related to legislative and legal affairs, including Search Results and the preparation of court documents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of legal and legislative principles and practice.
• Knowledge of departmental legislation, goals and objectives, and the political and social environment in which department programs and services are delivered.
• Familiarity with key pieces of NWT and Federal legislation that relate to departmental operations.
• Knowledge of the legislative development process.
• Knowledge of land claim and self-government agreements.
• Knowledge of northern peoples, cultures and communities.
• Ability to read and interpret legislation.
• Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize activities, and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to express ideas, negotiate and communicate effectively and to identify key issues from complex documents, and explain these issues in plain language.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field with three (3) years of experience with the development, implementation and evaluation of policy/legislation.
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445
Government of Northwest Territories