The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
The Stations Maintenance Team has an opportunity for a Senior Electrical Engineer (Power option) to join a team of professionals based at the BC Hydro Edmonds office. Travel will be required.
This resource will be required to work up to 40% of the time in the field at different locations in BC and 60% of the time in the office. Currently, due to COVID, the resource will work from home for the 60% time but will be required to work onsite in Edmonds once COVID restrictions are lifted.
• A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
• Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
• Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
• Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
• Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
• Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
• Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
• Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Priority will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in the following particular fields:
– Grounding (including switchyard grounding)
– Arc Flash
* Hydro and Turbo Generators Tests:
– AC and DC Overvoltage Test
– Power Factor / Dissipation Factor Test
– Electromagnetic Core Imperfection Detection (ELCID) and Core Loop Test
– Rotor Flux Test Recurrent Surge Oscillation (RSO) and Surge Test
– Partial Discharge Test
– Stator Wedge Test
– TC and VE Accelerated Aging Test
* DC Machines Tests:
– Armature and Field Tests
* Power Transformers Tests:
– Partial Discharge Test
– Gas-In-Oil and Oil Quality Test
– Power Factor Test
* Gas-Insulated Switchgear Tests:
– Partial Discharge and coax cables Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) Tests
– Overvoltage Test
* Demonstrated ability to perform Generator/Rotating Exciters/Transformers/Circuit Breakers visual inspections and testing.
* Senior electrical engineer headquartered at Edmonds providing maintenance engineering and related services primarily to generating stations across BC Hydro.
* Travel to remote parts of the province will be required to perform engineering duties.
* Access to a cellphone with unlimited data and minutes in BC will be required to perform engineering duties at various BC Hydro sites.
* A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver’s License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
* Engineering knowledge and experience in some or all of the following will be considered an asset: power generation, spare parts strategy, reliability centered maintenance, maintenance program optimization, equipment health assessments, forced outage investigations, and failure analysis.
* Solid understanding of related Standards and Codes used in the industry.
* Demonstrated ongoing development such as self-study, attendance at technical and administrative courses and participation in technical and professional societies.
* Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple projects and to plan and manage project resources is desirable.
* Demonstrated strong technical writing and presentation skills, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a team environment is essential.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are essential.
* Candidates with lesser experience may be considered for a position appropriate to their level of experience.
View original article here Source